Learn How to develop readership for your blog. You’ve finally set up a blog and published your first entry. Now, how do you get people to read what you’re writing about on your blog?
Here are some pointers on how to promote your blog.
1) Interesting Content – Readers will return if your content is interesting. Regularly update your blog.
Googlebot, Google’s web-crawling robot, is a big fan of content. The more frequently you update your blog, the more often search engine spiders will visit it.
2) Participate in blogging-related discussion boards. Inquire about the opinions of other bloggers on your blog and take their advice into consideration.
Inquire about the opinions of other bloggers on your blog and take their advice into consideration.
3) Make an RSS/Atom/XML feed available. If you’re using Blogger, you can enable RSS feed by going to your dashboard’s settings, then clicking on site feed, and making sure that yes is selected.
4) Choose your subject titles with care, keeping in mind what other internet users might be looking for.
Make your title keyword-rich. I recommend that you sign up for Word Tracker. Every Tuesday, they publish a report on the most popular searches, which is sent to over 30,000 subscribers.
5) Contribute to other blogs by leaving comments. Simply by providing feedback to your fellow bloggers, you can build a loyal readership. You can also use the comment feature to include a link to your blog.
6) Make sure your blog address is included in your forum signatures and email signatures.
7) Submit your blog to search engines and directories.
Technorati, Daypop, Blogdex, and Popdex are all good places to submit your blog’s URL.
8) Compose articles Include a resource box in your article and submit it to sites like http://iSnare.com.
9) If you’re using blogging software like Blogger, you can choose to notify central blog update services (like http://weblogs.com) whenever you make a new blog entry. Make certain that this option is enabled! In Blogger, go to your dashboard and click on publish, then make sure that notify weblogs is set to yes. You can also go to http://ping-o-matic.com and send a ping every time you update your blog. This informs everyone that your blog has been updated.
10) Include a link to another blog. Use blogrolling services, which are similar to linking. Blogrolling allows you to keep track of all of your favorite blogs in one place. However, don’t create a long blog roll of sites that you won’t visit again. Nothing is more aggravating than visiting a blog with a massive blogroll.
Be patient; traffic does not appear out of nowhere. I’ve discovered that getting to know people is the best way to increase traffic. Spend whatever free time you have reading blogs, leaving comments, and making new friends. As often as possible, leave comments on the blogs you visit. Enjoy your blogging while you wait for the traffic to arrive. In the process, you’ll improve your writing skills.
You’ll eventually build a network of friends and loyal supporters, not just readers. Blogging is about more than just marketing; it’s also about building long-term relationships.